McDaniel students should apply to be Writing Tutors frankly because being a tutor is a wonderful opportunity that our college offers. Below I’ve listed the reasons why I believe, as a current tutor, other students should apply for the position:
- Being a good writer requires practice like any other skill. As a writing tutor, you help others to practice this skill which in turn betters your own writing skills.
- You have the opportunity to work in one of the most diverse settings on campus. This can be very attractive on a resume.
- Interacting with your peers in a one-on-one tutoring session helps to develop interpersonal skills. Tutors have to be mindful of their tutee’s emotions during a tutoring session. This skill is also very attractive on a resume.
- You have the opportunity to work with the Director on professional development tasks. Tutors can develop skills such as communication, organization, and team leadership.
- You get to meet different people and you make new friends with your fellow tutors and your tutees!
- Your hours are flexible with your schedule. Generally, you do not work more than the number of hours that you ask for.
- You have the opportunity to achieve certification through the Association for the Coaching and Tutoring Profession. This certification is paid for by the Writing Center. All tutors have to achieve the title of Associate Peer Tutor, but students can elect to further their level of certification by taking more advanced training courses.